Friday 22 June 2012

Swimming with Whale Sharks

I jump off the marlin board, one hand on my mask
as my wetsuit jerks me up before my head goes under;
I flex my hips to make my flippers curl in the water
as I try to avoid the people jumping behind me
and head through nothing but turquoise with bubbles.
I peak my head up once to reorient myself on the spotter
and begin kicking harder to be the first to the fish.
The spotter slowly appears in the murky water,
swimming on his side to watch the whale shark
and I follow his gaze to the large spotted swimmer
moving lazily but quickly through the deep.
I fall into formation and attempt to stay astride
for as long as possible, while keeping the mandatory
distance from its side. Too soon, the spotter raises
his fist in the stop sign and we watch the whale shark
continue uninhibited until it disappears from sight.

Later, they'll tell us that must have been a juvenile,
because it seemed to be just two meters long.

No comments:

Post a Comment