Tuesday 28 August 2012

150. Capturing the Outback


There were times in those first days, weeks,
when I would sit outside in the wobbly chair
or amongst the dust on the concrete sidewalk
and stare at the horizon, the spacious red dirt
and brush landscape spanning all four directions,
the broad expanse of the sky, ever cloudless
even on the mornings that felt like rain.

The air only held birds I’d never seen before,
zephyrs that felt strange against my skin,
and the sharp captivating reminder
that I’m actually in Australia; it lured me
outside for every moment I could spare.

I used to stare at the sky, tracing constellations
I couldn’t name, searching for shooting stars
or satellites in the edge of the Milky Way,
staring at the way the crescent moon hung
at a different angle from the one at home.

I photographed everything that could fit
into a frame and even more blurred attempts
to capture a feeling, a place that could never
be translated into words or tamed fit in a 3x5
photograph, or whatever that is in centimeters.

And I don’t want to have to say there were times.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!!! I hope that you still feel that way about Australia.

    ReplyDelete